Update 2012: If you live in Ohio and are in the market for a new checking account, there are still a number of options for you. If you’re in the market for a rewards checking account (one that features an above average interest rate, you can review our top 10 rewards accounts from 2012 here) or if you’re in the market for a free checking account featuring a sign-up bonus, you can find those here.
Interest bearing accounts will carry low rates through 2014 or later. In the FED’s most recent discussions regarding rates, they have made it quite clear that rates wont rise until then.
- Offer from Archive -
The checking account offers available to Ohio residents are plentiful. Whether you’re in the market for a free checking account featuring a sign up bonus or a rewards checking account featuring a lucrative interest rate – Ohio’s got it.
If you have been a frequent BankVibe reader lately then you probably noticed the vast amount of high yield checking accounts available particularly in the midwest. Many of the these accounts are offered by small community banks or credit unions, so they likely have geographical restrictions in regards to membership.
Who has the highest yielding checking account in Ohio?
Currently Sutton Bank, headquartered in Ohio, offers a rewards checking account yielding 4.05% APY on balances up to $25,000. You can also scroll through our archive of the best checking accounts to see which ones are available to Ohio state residents.
Sutton Bank of Ohio interest checking account details:
- Earn 4.01% APY on balances up to $25,000
- Free ATMs nationwide (reimbursed up to $5 per transaction)
- No minimum balance, low opening balance of $100
- No maintenance fees
- Free online banking and bill pay
- Free Visa Check Card
- 4.01% Annual Percentage Yield (APY) paid on balances between one penny and $25,000 each cycle the minimum requirements are met. Balances over $25,000 earn 1.01% APY. If you do not meet the requirements per cycle, your account will still function as a free checking account earning 0.15% APY without ATM fee refunds.
Popular Free Checking Accounts offers for Ohio residents:
Charter One Bank of Cleveland, Ohio – Offers free checking accounts to Ohio residents complete with free online bill pay, free checks and free wire transfers.
Huntington Bank of Toledo, Ohio – Again, offers free checking accounts to Ohio residents. These free checking accounts come with free checks, wire transfers and the option for online bill pay.