The Pentagon Federal Credit Union, based out of Alexandria, Virginia is the third largest credit union in the United States, both by membership and by assets. They have roughly 930,000 members and control roughly $13 billion in assets. They provide service to the Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Department of Homeland Security, Department of Defense, defense-related companies, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars. They were federally chartered in 1935 and serve their members worldwide.
They offer a wide range of banking products including: mortgages, credit cards, automobile loans, personal loans, checking, money market savings as well as other accounts.
PFCU has branch locations in the Washington, D.C. area, Colorado, Hawaii, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, and Texas, as well as overseas.
Its deposit accounts offer dividends with interest rates that allow your savings to grow over time. You can open a certificate of deposit account ranging from 6 months to 7 years and earn the following interest rates:
- 6 month Certificate earns you 1.00% interest, 1.00% APY.
- 1 Year Certificate earns you 1.25% interest, 1.25% APY.
- 2 Years Certificate earns you 1.75% interest, 1.75% APY.
- 3 Years Certificate earns you 2.50% interest, 2.50% APY.
- 4 Years Certificate earns you 2.75% interest, 2.75% APY
- 5 Years Certificate earns you 3.00% interest, 3.00% APY
- 7 Years Certificate earns you 4.00% interest, 4.00% APY
@ The above rates have been noted as on 20 Novemeber, 2009.
@ Penalties apply for early withdrawals.
@ Your funds are insured by NCUA up to $250,000.
A minimum deposit of $1,000 is required to open one of these deposit accounts. You choose whether your certificate dividends are paid monthly or at maturity. You can also choose from the following dividend payment options: 1) add your dividends to the certificate 2) transfer them to another Pentagon Federal Credit Union account – checking, savings, money market, etc 3) have them sent to you in the form of a check.
You can join the Pentagon Federal Credit Union by either fitting into one of the following categories or by joining the NMFA (National Military Family Association):
- United States Military & Uniformed Services - United States Army, Air Force, Coast Guard, Navy, Marines, National Guard, Reserves, Cadets, ROTC
- Member of an Eligible Association, Military Officers Association of America (MOAA), or the Reserve Officers Association (ROA) - American Society of Military Comptrollers, Army Warrant Officers Association, AUSA, Coast Guard Auxiliary Association and more…
- United States Government Employees - Department of Homeland Security (DHS), Department of Defense, Department of the Army, and the Department of the Air Force
- Family Member or Housemate - Immediate family, roommate, legal guardian…
- Employee of an eligible place of business - Andersen Air Force Base, DCVA Medical Center – Contractors, Walter Reed Army Medical Center…
- American Red Cross - You are eligible to become a member of Pentagon Federal if you are an employee or volunteer of the American Red Cross.
- If you do not fall within their regular field of membership, you can join the National Military Family Association (NMFA) in order to become a member with Pentagon Federal Credit Union.
- Low, one-time only fee
- Membership is open to anyone
- NMFA is the leading non-profit advocacy organization for military families
- You do not have to retain NMFA membership to stay a member with Pentagon Federal Credit Union
Pentagon Federal Credit Union
Alexandria, VA 22313-2032