If you happen to live in California and are in the market for a bank CD, we’ve rounded up the best available CD rates from California credit unions in 2011. Like we’ve mentioned many times before, if you’re frustrated with current CD rates you may want to check out the APY’s offered through your local credit unions – they wont provide significantly larger yields but in many cases they will be able to beat the current national average. Credit Unions are generally not-for-profit, member-owned institutions which don’t have to report to shareholders (only to their members).
A few of the deposit products we’ve featured below may be available outside of California as well. You’ll want to check each institutions website to see which geographical areas they service. To get a better idea of where CD rates stand, you can compare the APY’s below with the best CD rates from credit unions in 2011 or the top online savings account rates in 2011.
California Credit Union CD Rates (Best APY’s):
(Rates accurate as of June 2011. Please visit our CD rates center for updated rates across the country.)
- America Airlines Federal Credit Union (San Jose, California) has a 12 month CD yielding 1.26% APY with a minimum deposit requirement of $10,000.
- Alliant Credit Union (San Francisco, California) has a 12 month CD yielding 1.20% APY with a minimum deposit requirement of $1,000.
- Alaska USA Federal Credit Union (Victorville, California) has a 2 year CD yielding 1.55% APY with a minimum deposit requirement of $1,000.
- Sandia Laboratory Federal Credit Union (Livermore, California) has a 2 year CD yielding 1.51% APY with a minimum deposit requirement of $1,000.
- Premier Community Credit Union has a 5 year CD yielding 2.65% APY with a minimum deposit requirement of $1,000.
To put the offers above in perspective the current national average for 12 month CDs and 60 month CDs sit at 0.94% APY and 2.22% APY, respectively.
If you live in California and know of a better CD rate offered through your local credit union, please share by leaving a comment!