Update – Bank of Sierra’s Interest checking account is no longer yielding the advertised rate. Visit BankoftheSierra.com (California only) for updated rates and information – or – visit our archive of rewards checking accounts for today’s top rates from around the country!
Bank of the Sierra’s interest checking account is still holding strong after many similar accounts have seen either drastic rate drops or increased membership exclusivity. A couple months ago we noted Bank of the Sierra’s high interest checking account and, surprisingly, not only has the rate remained high but it is still available to people throughout the United States.
Typically when these smaller regional banks and/or credit unions release these high yield rewards checking accounts, the offers get circulated online fairly quickly through blogs (such as this one), social media outlets, etc. – then prompting the institution to either dramatically lower the rate or simply take the account of the market. That is why we are fairly impressed with Bank of Sierra for keeping the offer as is, even though they are no doubt encountering heavy volumes of new account holders. This may not last long.
The Bank of the Sierra was founded in 1977 and has had the same president serve since it’s inception. The physical branch locations reside in Tulare, Kern, Kings and Fresno counties and they claim to be the largest community bank serving California’s heartland.
Their mission statement is somewhat unique in that it gives specific metrics in which they excel:
To be responsible stewards for our shareholders by providing a superior return on equity of 15%+ and a return on average assets of 1%+ within a culture of discipline and ethical entrepreneurship. This is a fundamental stewardship responsibility.
Features of Bank of the Sierra’s High Interest Checking Account:
- Earn 4.51% APY on balances up to $25,000¹*
- Earn 1.01% APY on balances above $25,000 ¹*
- If monthly qualifications are not met, you still earn .12% APY*
- Reimburses up to $25.00 in ATM fees nationwide per statement cycle¹
- Free eStatement every month
- Free Sierra Bill Pay
- Free Sierra Check Card
- No monthly service charge
- Overdraft protection available with a savings account or apply for a line or credit. ²
- Only $50 to open
Qualifications to earn the advertised interest rate:
- Minimum 12 Sierra Check Card purchases per month
- Minimum one direct deposit or automatic payment from your account each month
- Make at least one bill payment online
- Receive eStatements
- Must be opened online
If you have experience with this bank, please share by leaving a comment!